Date Posted: December 18, 2019
Closing Date: January 13, 2020
Starting Date: ASAP
Little Mountain Neighbourhood House Society (LMNHS) is an integral part of the Little Mountain/Riley Park for the past 40 years, providing free or low cost social support programs for seniors, adults, families, children, and youth. Rooted in "social justice" values, we facilitate social connectedness and target our programs to the whole community. LMNHS provides social, educational, cultural and recreational programs and initiatives that strengthen neighbourhood life for a diverse group of community members.
Nature and Scope of Job Role:
Little Mountain Neighbourhood House Society is seeking a Special Services Integration Worker for its Children & Youth Department. The individual hired in this position is responsible for supporting children and youth with developmental delays, disabilities and special needs, through weekly 1-1 visits in the community. The worker connects clients with community resources and work towards achieving individual client goals. The focus of each visit is on building life skills, social skills, and communication skills.
The number of each worker’s assigned clients is based on the worker's availability and on the number of clients referred to our services. Referrals are from the Ministry of Children and Family Development. The hours of work will vary depending on the number of clients; 5 hours of work each week per client; working with 2-4 clients per week. This position will require work during evenings and weekends. This is a unionized position that reports to the Manager of Children and Youth.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
- Develop positive and supportive relationships with client and family
- Liaise between family, social workers, and direct supervisor
- Plan, implement, and evaluate service plan goals
- Identify and utilize appropriate community resources and programs for addressing client goals
- Advocate on behalf of clients and families when appropriate
- Maintain accurate, confidential client notes, and progress reports as required
- Maintain accurate budget for program expenses
- Complete and submit timesheets to direct supervisor
- Attend regular team meetings as scheduled
- Perform other related duties as required
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Minimum two years post secondary education and training in child/youth care or a related discipline or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Demonstrated experience working with children and youth with developmental challenges.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Awareness of health and safety issues for children and youth.
- Ability to work effectively individually and as a part of a team.
- Standard First Aid/CPR certificate.
- Criminal record check is required.
- Knowledge of child development theories an asset.
- Experience working in an independent, offsite position an asset.
- Fluency in a second language an asset.
- Non-violent Crisis Intervention Training an asset.
- Experience in working in unionized environment an asset.
Please send a cover letter and resume quoting Special Service Worker to:
Tanya Findlater, Manager of Child and Youth
Thank you for your interest in Little Mountain Neighbourhood House. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Little Mountain Neighbourhood House is an Equal Opportunity Employer.